Everyone loves a good muffin first thing in the morning, but not all muffins make for a balanced and healthy breakfast. Not so with Morning Glory Muffins! These tasty muffins are filled with fiber, whole grains, seeds, and fruit, for a muffin that really eats like a meal.
• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
• 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 3/4 teaspoon table salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 large carrots, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
• 1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, and grated
• 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 3 large eggs
• 2 ripe bananas, mashed
• 1/2 cup canola oil
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 16-standard size muffin cups.
2. In a bowl, whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, ground flaxseed, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and ginger. Add carrots, apple, coconut, pecans, and cranberries and stir.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, canola oil, olive oil, molasses, and vanilla. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and blend. Divide the batter among the 16 muffin cups.
4. Bake for 22-24 minutes, until golden brown but slightly undercooked in the center (they will finish cooking while cooling). Rest the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove and cool.
On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Centerville Pointe Apartments in Garland, Texas encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option.